Alpaca: Power Tools for BroadWorks User Management
The BroadSoft BroadWorks OCI-P Provisioning language provides complete access to create and manage users and features. But the XML-based language changes with every BroadSoft release. Many BroadWorks service providers have had to delay major feature upgrades because they were waiting to upgrade their provisioning platform. And their staff programmers have to wade through reams of XML specs to understand each new BroadSoft release.
BroadWorks Provisioning with no XML
Enter Alpaca (formerly “bwptk,” BroadWorks Provisioning Toolkit), the Java library that handles the vagaries of OCI-P, simplifying the integration. With Alpaca, you can write code to create and manage enterprises, users, groups, assign features, with a clean Java API. And regular updates from ECG ensure you have the BroadWorks OCI-P support you need.
Sample code to update user’s passwords. With proper device management, this can correct all the bad SIP authentication passwords in a BroadWorks system:
List users = alpaca.getAllUsersInSystem(); for (User u : users) String p = generatePassword(); u.setAuthentication(u.getUserId(), p); }
The Javadoc API for Alpaca shows the formal syntax for using Alpaca Essentials.
Alpaca Essentials Features
alpaca essentials provides the following features through the Java API:
- Enterprise creation and deletion
- Group creation and deletion
- User creation and deletion
- Assign telephone numbers to enterprises, groups, and users
- Authorize and assign group and user every feature to enterprises, groups, and users
- Create a hunt group, and assign members to it
- Create a call pickup group, and assign members to it
- Create a basic call center, and assign agents to it
- Create group access devices, and assign users to it
- Assign a user to shared call appearance on a group access device
- Retrieve details on trunk groups
- Change a group access device from one type to another type
- Synchronize BroadWorks enterprises, groups, users, services, and group access devices to a MySQL database for convenient reporting
- Randomize SIP authentication credentials for users with group access devices
- Other convenience methods for preventing toll fraud
Alpaca Enterprise Features
Alpaca Enterprise provides all the features of Alpaca Essentials, plus the ability to do detailed management of group and user settings on each of the features.
Alpaca Call Center features
The Alpaca Call Center allows programmatic access to BroadWorks Call Center features. This allows service providers to automatically modify BroadWorks call center settings with a convenient interface.
Interactive Shell For Simple User Management
Command Line Interface for Linux/Unix or Windows
Alpaca’s command line interface provides numerous features out of the box. You don’t need to be a programmer to do any of the following:
- Add users
- Change SIP authentication for users or groups.
- Change a user’s device type.
- Get a text report of every user in the system.
- Create a Call Center.
- Assign services, extensions, and service packs.
Example of user creation:
$ alpaca UserAdd BobTelco FredGroup fflintstone Flintstone Fred Flintstone Fred \
2292442099 pa55w0rd English GMT-5:00
$ alpaca UserAssignTelephoneNumber BobTelco FredGroup fflintstone 2292442099
$ alpaca UserAssignToDevice BobTelco FredGroup fflintstone Group 0004f2b0a1bc \